BISHOP JOHNIE JOHNSON
Johnie James Johnson
306 Jeffs Circle
Goose Creek, SC 29445
BISHOP JOHNIE JOHNSON - the fifth son born unto Jeff and Margaret Johnson, November 11, 1923 in Summerton, South Carolina.
He, along with his family spent their early childhood in Summerton, SC. They worked as share croppers (partnership with another farmer) in Summerton, until their older brother, Milligan ventured out and came to Goose Creek and worked with the Mead family on the Marrington Plantation. Parallel to the Biblical story of Joseph sending his brothers back to get the rest of his family. Milligan told him he had parents and brothers. Mr. Mead asked him to bring the rest of his family to Goose Creek. The family, Jeff and Margaret, parents; and their children; Milligan, Fred, Moses, David, Johnnie, and Henry loaded their few belongings on the back of an old truck and moved to Goose Creek in 1936.
Although the family was not financially wealthy, God blessed them with wealth that reached beyond finance, that is the wealth of love and humane for the family and their fellowman. Because of love, there were some good times shared in the Johnson's household. Johnie and his brothers were sharers. They did things together like fishing, raccoon hunting, sharing the car, and fighting. As a child, Johnie was hot tempered and mischievous. His brother told of the time when Johnie and David had a fight, he said, "Johnie ran behind David with an ax, and David turned around and hit him with a rock, and Johnie got so angry with him until he fell out and fainted. He said, they had to throw water on Johnie to revive him." Johnie joined the US Navy. He was a part of World War II. Johnie returned home from the War in 1946 with a new life. He was saved and filled with the Baptism of the Holy Ghost while in the military. Not only was he saved, but also he had a great determination to spread the GOOD NEWS. He shared his new experience with those he came in contact with.
Brother Johnson, along with Elder James Gwyn started Bible Study in the church of which he was a member. Because the Word was being taught in its fullness by Brother Johnson, he and his family were forced to leave the church, along with those that believed what was being taught by this man Servant. The Calvary Church of God in Christ had its inception in the year of 1944 with an outreach ministry conducted by the late Elder and Mrs. Francis Cooper at the Faithful Hanna Hall in the Howe Hall section of Goose Creek. The Coopers were later joined by other workers such as Mother Maggie Jenkins, (who just celebrated her 90th birthday on Sept. 9th), Sister Bennett, Supt. and Mrs. J.C. Dantzler and others. Calvary took on a new lease on life when Elder Johnie Johnson was appointed pastor over the Lord’s people in 1948.
He married Miss Thelma Barnett in 1946. To this union, eleven children were born. One child is deceased, Christopher Terrance. All of their children are a part of the Church of God in Christ Ministry. He attended the Berkeley County School Vocational Center and obtained a Masonry Trade certificate. He is the founder of the JCI Concrete Company. In 1950, the James H. Lee family was listening to a radio station out of Charleston and heard this preacher (Elder Johnie Johnson). Their hearts were pricked. Later in that year, the Johnson Temple COGIC was organized by Elder Johnie Johnson.
Elder Johnson's entire ministry has been in the COGIC. He is the former interim pastor of Friendship Inspirational COGIC, Tillman COGIC, Faith Temple, Fairfax, and the Mason Temple COGIC. He served the Jurisdiction in the capacity of District Superintendent, Chairman of the Jurisdiction Board, Jurisdiction Treasurer, and Jurisdiction Sunday School Superintendent.
His ministry rose to a very elite level in 1985 when he was appointed Jurisdictional Bishop of the COGIC, South Carolina Jurisdiction. From 1944, when Bishop Johnson first got saved until this present time, Bishop Johnie James Johnson has not lost his zeal to spread the message of the GOOD NEWS. His ministry is still effective. When he became Bishop, there were about 32 churches on the SC Jurisdiction, today, there are about 66 churches with the Church of God in Christ in South Carolina.